Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP)
Download the PDF here
Refugees resettled to Canada through the BVOR (Blended Visa Office Referred) Program receive 6 months of financial assistance through the Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP). RAP is run out of local IRCC offices. For most AURA sponsorships, this is the downtown Toronto office (25 St Clair Ave East).

•RAP is provided for months 2-7 (Inclusive). Sponsors provide the rest, including start up and additional costs.

•If a newcomer arrives before the 15th, RAP will begin the following month. If a newcomer arrives on or after the 16th, RAP will begin the month following the first full month in Canada. (For example: if you arrive on May 7th, RAP starts June 1st. If you arrive May 17th, RAP starts July 1st)

RAP Appointment:
Shortly after arrival, RAP will email the sponsor group leader and AURA, to inform that a file has been opened and a request for a cheque has been made. We will confirm that sponsors receive this communication. A second email will be sent with an appointment date. You will be informed to bring:
•Original Confirmation of Permanent Residence documents
•All travel documents (passports, single journey documents, etc.)
•Social Insurance Number document (SIN)
•Proof of OHIP
•Interim Federal Health documents (IFH)
•Lease/letter stating address (if still temporary housing – you can change the address later)

For the adults:
•Completed Direct Deposit form (will be attached to email)
•Electronic Direct Deposit printout (obtained through online banking or directly at the bank branch)

*If the Sponsor does not hear from RAP shortly after arrival, contact AURA.

The first cheque is issued to the client in person. All future payments are by direct deposit.

Employment and RAP: All income from employment must be declared to the RAP Program. There will not be any deductions if they earn less than 50% of their monthly RAP entitlements. Earnings over 50% of their monthly RAP entitlements will be deducted dollar for dollar. *AURA guidelines prevent employment at the expense of English Language Learning **Additional support by sponsors does not need to be reported.

RAP and Taxes: RAP income must be declared on an income tax return, although it is not taxable. The government will send a Statement of Benefits (T5007) to the newcomers in February.

1. Sponsors must arrange for an interpreter if needed.
2. Both head of household and spouse (if applicable) must attend, children under 18 are not required to attend.
3. The head of household will be asked to sing a contract with RAP, as will a member of the Sponsor Group.
4. Any member of the Sponsor Group can accompany them to the appointment, and sign as a sponsor.

Get In Touch

  • 2723 St. Clair Avenue East
    Toronto, ON M4B 1M8
  • (416) 588-1612
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.